For those who know me very well know that there is one thing difficult above all for me: optimism. I've always thought of myself as a realist more than a pessimist but yet, in the most difficult times of my life, it seems pessimism was the winner. It's hard to think that way. Hard, in the way, that it gets tough on the mind, the soul. It brings you down often. Often I hear others say "just look at the bright side of things" "think positively" and that's all great, fine and dandy and man, I would love to but most times, I can do it for a good 5mns and then pouf it's gone. Anyways, a few months ago I got tired. Tired of being told those things.
After a lengthy discussion with a great friend, we set out to look to see if there was a way to learn optimism. After all, we obviously didn't know how and being told happy thoughts doesn't work so was there a way to learn? I found a book called "Learned Optimism" by Dr. Seligman. And despite the lengthy medical terms and such, I think it was amazing. And it actually taught me how to practice optimism, how to re-evaluate, how to argue with myself, and see how pessimism can be good (and sometimes should be used) and how optimism can improve my life. Certain past things probably traumatized me at some points (I know what they are - but never thought of them as the reasons for my mind processing ways) - teaching me that sometimes things are insurmountable and without escape. But ultimately they are not and I can teach myself how to escape them.
This whole jumble of blab-la is probably boring, not even making sense but I know that one of the hardest thing this generation faces is depression. Depression is extremely difficult to deal with and if you have never experienced it, you don't know how it feels and how devastating it is from the inside. You just don't. There is no way to describe the sorrow it brings to the one experiencing it. Learning optimism is key to avoid unnecessary distress, depression and awful self-esteem. I think if someone out there is trying like me to learn how to be an optimist,or how to be a better one, a more balanced one, a better help to someone trying to be more optimistic then read that book from Dr. Seligman. It's a great start.
Bad days suck. They took me far down to where I almost never came back. But I know that yet after those days, I have found strength and looked back to see that those days, no matter how awful they were, gave me the possibility to learn about myself. And I found positive in the midst of chaos. I do believe that there is always good, but sometimes depending on the circumstances, it might not be found until later, sometimes years later. And that's hard. But at least and at last, it comes.
Being an optimist might never be my biggest strength. It's ok. I still have the ability to see the good, the wonderful, the amazing and strive off of it. I can learn to be an optimist, and see the "plus" side of things. While also keeping in balance a touch of realism.
Life throws a lot of punches. Some we take better than others. Some really hurt. But how good does it feel when we can punch back and say: "oh yeah, bring it on!" Life wasn't meant to be easy but it's meant to be lived, felt and sensed.
To the many punches we have all taken, the ones we've thrown back, and the joys that came with them.
Life truly is beautiful. Being a bit more optimistic makes it even better.
No comments:
Post a Comment